Recent Posts

Coal Train Railroad Jazzes up the babes!


So I am in my car running a few errands WITHOUT baby in back(say what??), it's a gorgeous day(of course, I live in L.A.), the CD player's up loud, and it suddenly dawns on me that I'm belting out all of the words to "My bellybutton stays the same". I'd been listening and singing along to my son's favorite CD without even realizing it! This is the brilliance of Coal Train Railroad, a collection of jazz songs created just for kids! Written from a child’s perspective and covering such important topics as bellybuttons, juice, sharing, and snuggling, the songs are inspiring kids all over the world to dance, play, and use their voices to riff along with the musicians. My personal fave is called "I need a nap" (you do the math). It is produced by bassist Chris Donohue (Emmylou Harris, Buddy Miller, Collective Soul) and features the charmingly sweet, playful voice of Katy Bowser.
I have the extreme honor of knowing the genius Chris Donohue and his family, and can vouch for all of the hard work, inspired creativity, and incredible musicianship that has been poured into the rails that make the Coal Train go!
What I love best, is that it doesn't dumb anything down for the kiddies. Yes, the subjects are kid-related ("It's hard to listen"), but the music is real, un-watered down Jazz! They say kid's brains are like sponges, why not give them a head start and a taste for all genres of music now while the getting is good? Maybe you'll be yelling at them to turn down the Louis Armstrong and Billie Holiday in the dreaded teen years.
A mother can hope, right?
$0.99 per track or $8.91 for the album on itunes. If you live in Nashville, check them out live at one of their many local gigs! Woo Woo!

0 comments: